Friday, April 11, 2014

One Man's Folly, The Exceptional Houses of Furlow Gatewood

 One Man's Folly
The Exceptional Houses of Furlow Gatewood

Text by Julia Reed, Foreword by Bunny Williams, Photographed by Paul Costello and Rodney Collins






Ever the Southern Gentleman, Furlow Gatewood is a man of whimsical wit, extreme intelligence, a discerning eye for beauty in the unique, and a love for creativity. He is indeed at the very top of my list of people  that I would be honored to meet during my lifetime.

The images and text presented throughout One Man's Folly  had me mesmerized, gazing with a drawn out sigh at each and every page turned;   It nearly brought me to tears. Dear reader, the lump in my throat did not leave until I completed this mesmerizing book. When you read One Man's Folly you will truly understand.


  Bunny Williams describes Furlow Gatewood as one of the most talented and influential members of America's design community, always keeping a low profile, that is until now. Mr Gatewood has been a dear friend and Partner of John Roselli and Bunny's for well over four decades.

This man's story is a lengthy and intriguing one that begins on his family property in Americus Georgia. The Barn, originally a Carriage House  is the first of his many Follies. The elements we see continue on in  additional projects, starting with Gothic, yet light and airy details.



The Peacock House , living room above. You will recognize certain signatures even though one home may have  been built around a wall of antique shutters found and saved from years gone by; another built to highlight fan windows and archways. His trusted artisans have worked their magic with stunning marbleized floors, beveled lengths of wood  forming walls and trim as delightful as you will ever find.



The Dining Room in The Cuthbert House which made the 65 mile journey to Furlow's land in Americus. Marbleized floors,custom shutters for soaring windows, many details sketched  out briefly, gone over with a deep understanding of the outcome and voila, several months (not years and Years) later it is completed.


The Lumpkin House.  When Furlow was told about a delightful; albeit uninhabited property in nearby Stewart County, he had to take his builder Jimmy on a countryside drive. I think I really brought it for the front door and surrounding gingerbread trim, says Gatewood.


Rare Botanical Prints once used to teach schoolchildren adorn the simple whitewashed plank walls which Gatewood prefers. Original doors and hardware.


The extensive gardens, (which Gatewood prefers to call his yard) house  several other structures including The Chicken House which is now actually a hospital for his many peacocks, The Chapel, and then you find unique plantings and architectural structures and sculptures at every turn.

There is no piece of furniture too precious for his many devoted dogs to lounge about on. His love for animals is a huge part of Furlow's peaceful soul. Gazing at his  art, furnishings and collections...I could write an entire article on these gems collected throughout the years, starting with a most charming story about his very 1st antique purchase from his Aunt Mary.... Furlow believes in always purchasing what you love.

If you are to choose a book to be truly treasured, please make it be One Man's Folly, for this book about an ageless man's love of all things meaningful will touch your heart as no other. 



Thank you to my many friends and followers who support the arts
xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena 


Thank you to Rizzoli New York for the press copy and the use of these glorious images. Reader may click images to enlarge.

11 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I am swooning with dreamy sighs. How I long for the day to create a folly of my own. :)

Linda @ a design snack said...

I'm looking forward to owning this book. Thanks for the review!

MJH DesignArts said...

Hi Karena, This is the most beautiful tribute to an amazing man. "Folly" has just moved to the top of my "to buy" list. Thank you for making these treasures seem so real. Havea a super day.
xoxo Mary

Woodside Park said...

I love every image in this preview!!! Such exquisite taste! Such sophistication! I'm going to order my copy tonight....perhaps even a few to sell at my shop. Thanks for sharing this, Karena.
Cheers~

La Contessa said...

I have read about him recently……….I WILL ORDER THE BOOK!He is a man after my own HEART!Buy what you love and animals welcome everywhere!The "YARD"the" CHAPEL" all sounds too DIVINE!

peggybraswell said...

oh I will get this book + thanks for the introduction. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

Leslie said...

The blue and white touches are perfect..love everything here Karena. Thank you:) and I will head over to Amazon! xxleslie

La Petite Gallery said...

Everything is elegant, even those Doggie's.
yvonne

Stacy CUrran said...

You really find the most amazing and interesting things to post, and this is no exception!
Stacy

La Petite Gallery said...

Karena, hope all is well with you. I never hear from you anymore.
yvonne

therelishedroost said...

Just gorgeous!

Blog Archive