Thursday, June 12, 2014

Hats by Madame Paulette, Paris Milliner Extraordinaire

Hats by Madame Paulette
Paris Milliner Extraordinaire

by Annie Schneider

Thames and Hudson Publisher



On the cover: An asymmetrical straw with a sweeping brim


Madame Paulette by Studio Harcourt

Madame Paulette was Paris’s “queen of milliners.” Born in 1900, this famed headwear designer learned her trade between the wars, and by the forties and fifties her hats crowned the heads of everyone who was anyone in Paris, and were increasingly sought by the rich and famous around the world. Film stars such as Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, and Audrey Hepburn were some of her most ardent fans, as well as royalty, including Princess Grace of Monaco and the Duchess of Windsor.


Hats by Madame Paulette will appeal to fashion experts and aficionados of fine millinery alike, providing an essential guide on the most indispensable fashion item of the mid-twentieth century; no woman would consider herself formally dressed without a hat. In addition to celebrities vying for Madame Paulette’s creations, fashion photographers clamored for her designs. Included here are photographs from Avedon, Newton, Horst, and Klein, as well as film stills of the hats she designed for Cecil Beaton that appeared in My Fair Lady and Gigi. 


An assortment of Madame's equisite Creations
Photo Credit: Image by Vauthey-Sigma-Cortis


Madame Paulette made sure each hat designed was entirely bespoke, never two alike. She used every trim at her disposal, voiles, netting, feathers, flowers and more. This was an era where women of refined taste desired a hat to match with every outfit, from luncheon attire to evening elegance. 


One of Madame's much desired pleated Turban Styles which she also designed with lovely scarves hanging off to one side, glorious!
Photo  Credit: by J. M. del Moral


The famed Paris Couturiers came to Madame Paulette for her hats, including Balmain, Pierre Cardin, Feraud, Guy LaRoche, and Emmanuel Ungaro. When Madame was in her eighties she still designed her creations for Thierry Mugler and Claude Montana.



A fabulous pillbox hat by Madame Paulette worn with a dress by Jean Desses
 Photo Credit: J.M. del Moral

Madame Paulette creates a red and white fur hood for blustery winter days! Photo credit TopFoto




Her creations for  stage and screen were wonders of workmanship and design. Millinery for Gigi, My Fair Lady, specifically for Cecil Beaton, for Leslie Caron and Audrey Hepburn made history!



Left: Black Velvet Chignon Cover with Ostrich Feather Pom-poms and Veil

Right: A cascade of petals in Black Organza
Photo Credit: TopFoto



Please purchase Hats by Madame Paulette, Paris Milliner Extraordinaire by Annie Schneider


Copy courtesy of Harry Burton of Thames Hudson

Thank you to my Friends and Followers who support the Arts!


xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Please leave a comment. I love to hear your thoughts...

16 comments:

quintessence said...

Love this! I adore hats - I wish they were as popular here as they are in England!

designchic said...

I so love a hat, but rarely wear one - on the beach but that's about it. So wish the trend would come back here!!

Jermaine said...

Thanks for this fascinating post...how I wish hats played more prominently in today's fashion...they are truly an admirable art form. Hope you are doing well Karena.

MJH Design Arts said...

AMAZING PIECES OF ART---XOXO
MARY

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

Beautiful and elegant!

La Contessa said...

That TURBAN!The fur creation that tucked under the chin!I will BUY the book and hunt for her hats!Thanks for the heads up..........those hats in MY FAIR LADY were The BEST!

peggybraswell said...

love these hats + I could wear these year round. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What beautiful and elegant hats...and I love the vintage Pill Box hat!...love that photo! Have a great weekend!

therelishedroost said...

wow so wonderful!! Have a lovely weekend Karena!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Karena-
I don't believe anyone loves hats more than I do! I have a few of my grandmother's hats and adore them!
Thank you for sharing this gorgeousness. Must have.
Teresa
xoxo

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Karena-
I don't believe anyone loves hats more than I do! I have a few of my grandmother's hats and adore them!
Thank you for sharing this gorgeousness. Must have.
Teresa
xoxo

Tamera Beardsley said...

Be still my heart! What fabulous photos ! Thank you so much Karena for sharing this book! I think I must get a copy to be sure!

So excited to see you Friday!

xoxo
Tamera

Unknown said...

Love this post! My Grandmother & Grandfather were Milliner's on the East Coast. Great pictures!

Diana Mieczan said...

Those hats are stunning and I especially love the pillbox hat :) Kisses

Decor To Adore said...

I just ADORE this post. I enjoy wearing hats and these gems you have showcased are wonderful.

Decor To Adore said...

I just ADORE this post. I enjoy wearing hats and these gems you have showcased are wonderful.

Blog Archive