Thursday, June 4, 2015

Jackson Pollock's Mural: Energy Made Visible

Jackson Pollock's Mural:
Energy Made Visible
by David Anfam

Published by Thames & Hudson (June 14, 2015)




" On, around, and beyond Jackson Pollock's Mural....
Pollock's monumental painting is one of the most influential yet little-seen works of the last century. This book sheds new light on its place in the artist's meteoric career and the evolution of modern American Art."


Herbert Matter, Jackson Pollock standing in front of Mural, c. 1947, photograph
                        Special Collections, Stanford University. By permission of Alex Matter. Courtesy
                        of Stanford Special Collections.


This mural was created early in Pollock's career,  in 1943. The vastness of this work of art, 19.6 feet in length is the largest painting he ever created. It was a signature of what was to come, the energy, complexity, works full of symbolism which Anfam explains brilliantly in this book.


Detail of Mural showing the ‘Mimbres pottery’ motif
                        Gift of Peggy Guggenheim, 1959.6. University of Iowa Museum of Art, Iowa City.
                        Reproduced with permission from The University of Iowa Museum of Art. Photograph
                        Courtesy the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 2014.

Why is it so important to visit museums, art galleries, art exhibits? Precisely this! One could never explore the intricacies, the colors, the artist's form and function when creating his or her works.




Detail of Mural showing area of signature
                        Gift of Peggy Guggenheim, 1959.6. University of Iowa Museum of Art, Iowa City.
                        Reproduced with permission from The University of Iowa Museum of Art. Photograph
                        Courtesy the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 2014.

Peggy Guggenheim immediately saw the genius of Pollock's art and was his major benefactor, catapulting his career as no one else could. Artists in this day and age would be thrilled to have a sponsor such as Guggenheim.


Detail of Mural showing area of date
                        Gift of Peggy Guggenheim, 1959.6. University of Iowa Museum of Art, Iowa City.
                        Reproduced with permission from The University of Iowa Museum of Art. Photograph
                        Courtesy the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 2014.

 You may purchase this most fascinating book for your art library through Thames & Hudson.
Much thanks to the publisher for the publicity copy for review.


The author, David Anfam is a leading authority on modern American art. he is Senior Consulting Curator at the Clyford Still Museum in Denver and Director of its Research Center. He has won the Mitchell Prize for his work and has written many studies on artists such as Mark Rothko, Anish Kapoor, Wayne Thiebaud and others.

 My friend Mark Ruffner of All Things Ruffnerian,  found this very interesting link about the creation of The Mural. Please take a look.  http://www.jesterjacquesart.co.uk/the-story-behind-jackson-pollocks-famous-mural-painting-of-1943/

Thank you to my Friends, Family, and Followers who Support The Arts!

Please sign up for email alerts to receive my latest features and leave a comment as your thoughts make my day!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena


22 comments:

Donna said...

Great post! I was just talking about Pollock yesterday - great coincidence, awesome Artist.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

That is true art. Anyone who can take a chaotic expression to evoke emotion is a true artist. And to TRUST that what you put down on canvas will move others is another reason to applaud the greats! HI KARENA! Anita

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

A true icon of the art world....P. Guggenheim truly new talent when she saw it...The mural truly is alive.

designchic said...

This mural is amazing, Karena. I love the colors and know the book is wonderful…must add to my every growing collection of books!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Karena! How I love this post. AND I'm finally getting your notifcations in my inbox, properly! Thank you so much for coming to visit my "homecoming." Once a month is about all I can swing, but I NEED IT so badly, to be part of this community.

Stay well my friend. I hope your summer is off to a good start! Anita

MJH Design Arts said...

Yes, Peggy G, the first to know what she was looking at. Jackson was amazing; without Peggy, he would not have been who he was. I think I need this book. Thanks. Mary

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

His work is amazing. I'm sure the mural is breathtaking in person.
Thanks for sharing!

Decor To Adore said...

Both Sweet Guy and I cannot wait for the Jackson Pollock exhibit to come to Dallas in November.
He is continuing to experiment in his style and no doubt will receive even more inspiration.
Happy June and have a wonderful weekend.

peggy braswell said...

P G was so right + the mural is amazing.xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

La Contessa said...

LOVELY........a piece of ART!

LBDDiaries said...

An amazing picture 19.6 feet in length would require a trip to the museum! No way you could take in its vastness otherwise! So much time and energy into this - wow. I love how you introduce us to so much more than what is in our own backyard!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Karen,
I could look at this painting every day for the rest of my life and see something new each day.
Stunning post.
Teresa
xoxo

Stacy CUrran said...

I totally agree with Teresa- every single day. It's amazing!
Stacy

therelishedroost said...

A true abstract pioneer, great post! xo
k

French Food Camp said...

Pollock's works are so impressive, and it's so wonderful to have the chance to see and appreciate them in person. I'm a huge fan!! Great post and I'm going to go track down the book~

Fashion-isha said...

I really love all your visits to my blog! And I love this painting, it's so full of color and motion!
xo
Sharon

cindy hattersley design said...

This looks wonderful Karena...another book to covet!!

Leslie said...

Wow! Energy on paper! Karena, you share an endless number of talented artists on your blog. So much talent out there!

Burlap Luxe said...

A whole lot of expressive energy. I love his signature it's what I most in art.... I know sounds funny or strange, but I always look at a signature and read the passion in it for how they create.

Iconic expressive work.
Karena, I am out of the chubby knits if that's what you were inquiring on, but will be doing more this fall for winter. Creating with old linens and textiles for the holidays right now. Then back to pieces started.

See you soon beautiful,
Loved your visit.

Xx
Dore

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Karena,
This is a delightful treat for me this morning to visit you! I like what you wrote about the importance of visiting museums and tap into the awareness, knowledge and creativity of Artists that we may know well or may not.
Thank you for sharing where to purchase the art book, it would be a great addition to our Library.
It is a joy to have met you and thank you for your visit!
xox
Jemma

DaniBP said...

Love this post Karena and I must have this book, thanks for the good tip. X

Vel Criste said...

I'm a huge admirer of Pollock and this is definitely one book I have to check out! Thanks Karena!

Blog Archive